Allis-Chalmers was founded in 1901 as a result of the merger of Edward P. Allis Co., a steam engine and mill company, Fraser & Chalmers Co., an ore mining and milling company, Gates Iron Works, a manufacturer of crushing and grinding equipment, and Dickson Manufacturing Co. ., specializing in engines and compressors. The new large company quickly became a leader in the production of electric motors, turbines, mining equipment and in civil engineering.
In 1913, the firm was headed by retired general Otto Folke. The new leader was convinced of the potential of an internal combustion engine as opposed to the most common steam engine at that time. In 1914, the company released the 10/18 model with one front wheel, equipped with a two-cylinder engine running on kerosene.
Despite the small number of tractors produced during this period (2700 units), several of the vehicles produced by 1921 were shipped to France under the Globe brand, where Mertens, Mottet & Cie acted as their distributor. Later, the range of tractors was replenished with a more familiar four-wheel model, 18/30, with a four-cylinder engine.
Until 1923, the company sold only about 300 tractors a year, but the demand for its products was growing, and by 1930 Allis-Chalmers were already producing 2,300 machines a year. In 1929, the 20/35 tractor became the most popular, developing a capacity of up to 45 liters. from. thanks to a four-cylinder engine of 7.6 liters.
At this time, the company acquires Monarch Tractor Sogr. and Advance-Rumely, the first of which specialized in the production of tracked tractors, which allowed Allis-Chalmers to replenish its range. During the 1929 crisis, Allis-Chalmers acquired United Tractor & Equipment Co., A Fordson distributor association.
During this period, the United tractor was introduced to the public, which later became the U model with a four-speed gearbox. Another feature of the model is pneumatic tires of low pressure, first installed on the tractor.
However, farmers, accustomed to metal wheels with tillers, treat the new product with distrust. To convince buyers of the advantage of pneumatic tires, the company organizes tractor races with famous drivers at the wheel. Model U was produced until 1952, and during this time more than 19 thousand of such machines were manufactured.
In 1936, tractor A with a four-speed gearbox replaced the 20/35 model. Its power on the towing hook is 33-40 liters. sec., and the power transmitted by the belt - 44-51 liters. from.
In addition, the company produces a model B with a three-speed gearbox. The initiator of its manufacture was Harry Merritt, the head of the Allis-Chalmers tractor division. Merritt believed that Model B would find application in small farms.
This compact tractor weighing 930 kg developed a power of up to 10 liters. from. on the tow hook, and the transmitted power was 14 hp The model really enjoyed great success: by 1957, nearly 127 thousand tractors were produced.
In 1939, the production of RC and C models began. In total, more than 89 thousand were produced. These tractors came in various modifications: with metal wheels or pneumatic tires, three-wheeled, tilled, with an adjustable front axle track, etc. After 1945, they appeared G and WD models. The WD-45 tractor becomes the first model to be equipped with custom power steering.
In the 1950s, the company completely updated its product range. Among the new products, it is worth noting the D line. In total, about 50 models are presented in it: with different types of the front axle, standard and row tractors running on gasoline, diesel fuel or liquefied gas.
The new D-19 and D-21 models are powerful tractors that can be aggregated with a variety of mounted tools. These models allow the company, previously associated with the production of small and light tractors, to gain a foothold in the market of powerful machines. In 1964, on the basis of the D-19 model, the company creates a tractor 190, which develops power up to 103 liters. from. thanks to the turbocharger installed on it.