The history of Ford tractors began with the same person as the rest of Ford, from Henry Ford himself.
However, unlike the automotive division, the path of the tractors was thorny. Moreover, it became thorny from the very beginning - the evil shareholders did not allow Henry Ford to spend energy and money on agricultural machinery and he created a new company, Henry Ford & Son Inc, for their production. True, the inscription on the hood of the tractors was shortened to simply Fordson.
Like the Ford-T, the first model of the Fordson F tractor was built on an assembly line and produced in huge numbers. The successful start of tractor production was greatly facilitated by the conclusion of contracts for the supply of agricultural machinery, concluded with the British government, which badly needed to expand arable land and increase the tractor fleet. In this regard, Ford built a tractor plant in Ireland, or rather converted a former shipyard for it.
In addition to England, Ford also raised the agriculture of Soviet Russia, where 20,000 tractors were supplied, and later, its own production of tractors under the Fordson-Putilovets brand was established.
Despite the huge distribution network and the popularity of tractors, in 1928 the production of Fordson tractors in the United States was discontinued.
But this was in the USA, and in England everything was fine again, and even the production of tractors was moved to the outskirts of London, and now Ford tractors were imported to the USA.
The first post-war model of the Ford Nseries tractor was developed in partnership with the inventor of the three-point linkage, Henry Ferguson.
After the death of Henry Ford Sr. in 1945, the management of the firm passed to his grandson Henry Ford Jr., who broke all agreements with Ferguson and a long patent litigation ensued, which resulted in similar 8N models of the Ferguson TE20 and Massey-Ferguson FX35 tractors.
Another turning point was 1964, when all tractors were named Ford and branded blue, and the branches in England lost their former independence.
In the future, Ford remained an adherent of classic tractors with a capacity of up to 150 hp.
In the eighties, another landmark event took place - Ford acquired the Sperry-New-Holland consortium and became one of the largest manufacturers of agricultural machinery in the world.
But, the burden turned out to be too heavy and in 1991 the tractor division of Ford was sold to the FIAT group, which was later transformed into the mega-corporation CNH.
By agreement of the parties, the Ford brand was to disappear from the hoods of tractors in 2000.