Gliner Manufacturing Company is a US-based combine harvester manufacturer. Gliner has been a popular combine brand especially in the United States Midwest for decades, first as an independent firm and then as an Allis-Chalmers division. The Gliner brand continues today to be owned by AGCO.
Gliner combines a date dating back to 1923, when the Baldwin Nickerson brothers, Kansas, created a high quality, reliable self-propelled combine harvester. They chose to use the name "Gleaner" for their radically redesigned grain harvesting machine based on inspiration from "The Gleaners", an 1857 painting by Jean-François Millet. Picking is the act of harvesting leftover crops from farm fields after they have been commercially harvested, or from areas where it is not economically viable to harvest. Broadly, it is the act of sparingly recovering resources from low-power contexts. Thus, with the name Gleaner, the company has generated a positive connotation in the minds of potential customers, from a combine brand that will not leave a single grain behind. A combine harvester combines Reaping (plus or minus tying), threshing and blending functions in one machine, so the "combine" part of its name. To this list, the Baldwin brothers' Gliner added self-propulsion. Earlier combines, the so-called traction type or tractor-traction combines, were towed by tractors.
The original Gleaner design was installed on a Fordson Model F. It was retailing for USD $ 950 FOB at the Nickerson plant. This design was made between 1923 and 1928.
Gliner was one of the pioneers in the field of self-propelled harvesters. They are often considered the "Cadillac" industry because of this function and because of their solid technique. Buescher (1991) attributes the development primarily to one of the brothers, Curt Baldwin, and explained that he focused on the needs of custom cutters like the Baldwin brothers themselves: contractors who move north with the harvest season, providing harvesting services to farmers. This led to machines that were reliable and useful, which used not only their own cutters, but everyone who bought a GLEANER. The short wheelbase and track axle made it possible to combine to fit on a truck. The grain header should not be detached for transit, as it is being slipped onto the truck cab. Buescher said: "Since the custom cutters did not know where their next power source was part, Baldwin designed it to combine so that no part would be needed." (Buesher's ironic point is that the machines were well designed and built, so the need for repairs would be minimal.) The frame was "like a bridge" in its strength. The bearings were chosen with maintenance in the form of: large and good quality (to avoid mishaps) and overall dimensions (so that the operator could carry a small stock of spare parts on his truck, and be sized when replacement was needed). The outer sheet metal of GLEANER has been galvanized (galvanized), providing excellent weather resistance. As Buescher said, “Baldwin reasoned that most of his harvesters would sit outdoors. Texas and Oklahoma dust storms have a way of peeling paint off cars. " As a result of the silver-colored zinc coating, the Gleaner brand ended up being a distinctive color (just as Allis was Persian Orange, IH was red, and John Deere was green), despite the sheet metal without even having any paint.
During the Great Depression, thanks largely to the collapse of the agricultural economy and the Dust Bowl, society with Baldwins went bankrupt in the 1930s as equipment sales fell. William James Brace acquired the company along with his son-in-law, George Reuland. The couple, along with other investors, brought the company back to profitability and retained ownership until 1955. During World War II, the plant did not convert its production to war technology.
By the late 1940s and early 1950s, other agricultural machinery manufacturers were offering increased competition to Gliner by bringing in their own versions of self-propelled harvesters.
In 1955, Allis-Chalmers acquired GLEANER. This represents a commercial renewal for Gliner with the production and marketing of various new models and technologies. It also represents a large gain for Allis-Chalmers. Allis was the market leader in traction type (tractor drawn) combines, with its All-Crop Harvester Line. Acquiring Gleaner means it will also be a leader in self-propelled vehicles, and he will own two of the leading brands in harvesters. The Gleaner line was augmented (and later replaced) by the All-Crop harvester line, and within a few years GLEANER's profits accounted for nearly all of Allis-Chalmers' profits. Gleaners continue to be manufactured in the same plant in Independence, Missouri, following acquisition.
1965 Gliner E Harvester
In 1979, Gliner produced her first rotary combine, the N6. N5 and N7 soon followed. The latter was the largest combine of its time, with cereal headings as wide as 30 feet (9.1 m).
In 1985, Allis-Chalmers sold their agricultural machinery manufacturing business to Deutz AG and became known as Deutz-Allis, and in 1991 its North American operations became AGCO. Despite some ownership changes, the Gliner brand never stopped being produced or marketed. Between 1985 and 2000, Gliner lost significant market share to other manufacturers with broader dealerships and agricultural equipment product lines that had marketing and customer service benefits. Another problem for Gleener was that some of their combinations were used with an air-cooled Deutz engine, a departure from water-cooled engines predominantly in most other industrial and agricultural applications.
In 2000, AGCO relocated GLEANER's manufacturing operations from Independence, Missouri, to its Hesston, Kansas facility, which featured modernized manufacturing equipment and technology. It is also centralized for engineering and manufacturing functions in one place. The Hesston facility is 35 miles east of Nickerson, Kansas, where the Baldwin brothers started the Gleaner company in 1923.