The most important thing to know about Porsche technology is one interesting fact - the founder of the company has established himself as an excellent designer from a young age. He managed to work for the Daimler company and only after that he opened his own design office in Stuttgart.
Ferdinand Porsche owned a repair shop in the small German town of Muffersdorf. From the age of 15, Ferdinand worked in it in the mornings, and in the evenings attended classes at the technical school in the city of Reichenberg. The young man's talent became evident after he developed a car equipped with an electric drive.
In 1931, after working for many years at Daimler ("Daimler"), Porsche opened his own design office in Stuttgart, specializing in the development of various types of engines.
In the 1930s, during the Nazi regime in Germany, the design office of Honorary Doctor of Engineering Sciences Ferdinand Porsche was engaged in the mechanization of agriculture and the motorization of the German population. The bureau developed not only the famous Volkswagen car (“Volkswagen”, translated from German - “people's car”), but also Volkspflug (“Volksplug” - “people's tractor”).
This tractor was conceived as a mass and cheap model. The project was completed between 1937 and 1939. The 110 and 111 models appeared, equipped with air-cooled V-engines, developing power up to 12 hp. from. The prototype model 110, in particular, was equipped with a front hitch system, which ensured its versatility.
Porsche continued to improve the tractor. The 113 was fitted with an air-cooled diesel engine. However, with the outbreak of World War II, work on the project slowed down. Porsche has focused on creating a heavy tank for the military needs of the future Tiger model. The production of the tank was later transferred to the Henschel company ("Henschel").
Work on the model 113 project resumed, and a single-cylinder diesel engine was installed on the tractor. In 1949, Porsche commissioned the Uhinger Firma Allgaier Werke GmbH to produce tractors of its own design. However, in 1957, this cooperation ended, as the production capacity of Allgaier ("Allgaier") becomes insufficient due to the high demand for Porsche tractors.
The company has to look for a new manufacturer, and it becomes the group of metallurgical and mining companies Mannesmann ("Manesman"). It buys out the Allgaier tractor division and opens a factory in the former Zeppelin premises in Friedrichshafen, Germany, on the Swedish border.
Porsche, in turn, founds Porsche Diesel Motorenbau, which focuses exclusively on design. The new range of models is similar to the tractors produced by Allgaier. Only the name of the models is changed: the previous designation A (from Allgaier) is replaced by P. To replace the P 111 tractor with a single-cylinder air-cooled engine, 822 cc. cm and a capacity of 12 liters. from. the P 122 models come with a 22 hp two-cylinder engine. sec., P 133 with a three-cylinder 33 hp engine. from. and R 144 with a 44 hp four-cylinder engine. from.
In 1957-1958, the success of the previous models was overshadowed by the new line of Porsche Diesel diesel tractors. It includes the Junior models ("Junior", an improved model of the P 111 with a lengthened frame, a 14 hp engine and a six-speed gearbox), Standard ("Standard", an improved model of the P 122 with a two-cylinder 25 hp engine. ), as well as Super ("Super", improved model Р133 with a 38 hp engine). The production of the P 144 is discontinued. The new tractors are also available in the budget V version (Junior V and Standard V) and in the narrow gauge version.
In 1958, the Super L model increased to 40 hp. from. Standard is available in two versions: 20 and 26 hp. from. The first of them is equipped with a 1.37 liter engine, and the second - 1.75 liters. Soon, a Master tractor with a 50 hp four-cylinder engine joins them.
After 1961, the demand for Porsche tractors began to fall due to intense competition. Porsche, which does not produce more than 50 hp tractors, has made the decision to withdraw from the race where power is critical. In 1962, production passes to the Man company, which becomes the main shareholder of Porsche Diesel.
Having produced about 120 thousand tractors, in 1966 the company sold the production to Daimler-Benz ("Daimler-Benz"). Porsche moved into the production of spare parts, for which it founded a joint venture with Renault (Renault).