Cockshutt was a large tractor and equipment manufacturer known as Cockshutt Farm Equipment Limited (1957-1962), based in Brantford, Ontario, Canada.
Founded as the Brantford Plow of the works of James G. Cockshutt in 1877, the name was changed to the Cockshutt Plow Company when it was incorporated in 1882. After James died shortly thereafter, his brother William Foster Cockshutt became president. He remained until 1888, when another brother, Frank Cockshutt, became president of the company. In 1910, Henry Cockshutt, the youngest of the brothers, took over the company. Under his leadership, the company was able to obtain financing for the acquisition and expansion.
Renowned for quality designs, the company became a leader in the sector of tillage tools through the 1920s.
Since Cockshutt did not have a tractor design of its own yet, an agreement was made in 1929 to distribute Model 20-35 Allis-Chalmers and United tractors (United was a group of Fordson dealers who contracted Allis for a new tractor when Ford stopped North American production of Fordson). In 1935 Cockshutt took over the Oliver tractor line.
During the war years (because Canada was part of the British Empire during the "war years" extended from 1939 to 1945), Cockshutt in Brantford, Ontario, a plant operating as Aircraft's Cockshutt division, manufactured chassis for several types of British bombers, including the Avro The Lancaster Mk X is being built by Victory aircraft at Malton, and has built plywood fuselages and wings for the Avro Anson trainer aircraft and for the famous British de Havilland Mosquito bomber. The Brantford plant, the Cockshutt Ammunition Division also produces artillery trailers and artillery shells of various sizes. The strength of the work at Brantford grew to nearly 6,000 people. A large number of the workforce were women. Meanwhile, another Brantford Cockshutt plant, named the Brantford coach and body plant, produces mechanical transport organs, ambulances, and special trailers for war.
During the war years, Cockshutt managed to develop its own tractor. This tractor was a Cockshutt Model 30 tractor. However, since the raw materials required for industrial production were limited only for use in hostilities, production of the 30 horsepower 30 horsepower (22 kW) 2-3 plow tractor had to be postponed until the end of the war. The Model 30 finally went into production in 1946.The Canada Post celebrated its 50th anniversary with the Model 30 - launch with a postage stamp on 8 June 1996.Only 441 Model 30s were produced in that first year. In 1947, production of the Model 30 hit its full stride when the 6263 were built. Thus, the Model 30 was the first modern production tractor built in Canada. Reached the high water mark of Model 30 production in 1948 when 10,665 tractors were made and sold throughout Canada. The Cockshutt Model 30 was painted a scarlet red with creamy white wheels at the front and rear and creamy white lettering on the tractor. The Model 30 was powered by a 153 cubic inches (2.51 L) engine made by the Buda Engine Company of Harvey, Illinois.
Cockshutt 411 forage harvester
Cockshutt has always set out to sell its new Model 30 outside of Canada. The company especially wanted to enter the large Farm Tractor market south of the border in the United States. However, Cockshutt did not have a sales network in the United States. Consequently, in 1945, Cockshutt signed two marketing agreements with US organizations. The first agreement was signed with the National Agricultural Machinery Cooperative (NFMC) in the US Midwest. Subject to the terms of this agreement, the Model 30 Tractors sold in the United States will be marketed under the name “Cooperative”. The tractors will be painted all "orange pumpkins" with black lettering and will be re-designated as Model E-3 Tractor Cooperative. NFMC will wholesale the E-3 tractor model in various local farmer-owned cooperatives. These local farmer-owned cooperatives distribute more than 10 states in the Midwest United States, then retail Model E-3 tractors to the consuming farming community. Some of these locally owned farm-owned cooperatives, especially those in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, were associated with the American farm office. In October 1946, a new orange Model E-3 tractor was rolling off the assembly line at the Brantford plant and begins to appear in local farmer-owned cooperatives throughout the Midwestern United States. Canadian Cooperative Implements Limited (CCIL) has also marketed Cooperative E3, E4 and E5 in Canada.
Cooperative model E-3 tractors were also sold by local farm-owned cooperatives located in Wisconsin, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, and Montana. These tractors were sold in bulk at the Farmers Union Grain Exchange located in St. Paul, Minnesota. In order to promote sales of the Model E-3 tractor in the United States, Cockshutt sent one of the Model 30 / Co-Op E-3 tractors to Lincoln, Nebraska, to be tested by staff at the University of Nebraska from May 21 to June 3, 1947. Testing of the Model 30 / Cooperative E-3 tractor showed that the tractor delivered 32.95 hp. (24.57 kW) on the pulley and 28.43 hp. (21.20 kW) to the drawbar.
After the introduction of the Model 30, Cockshutt added more 45 horsepower (34 kW), 3-4 plow Model 40 in 1949 and added a smaller 25 horsepower (19 kW), 2-Plow Model 20 in 1952, and finally 1953 The company has added even more 60 horsepower (45 kW), 4-5 Model 50 plows to the emerging Cockshutt line of agricultural tractors. The Cockshutt Blackhawk 35 was introduced in 1956 to facilitate the acquisition of the Ohio Cultivator company. The tractor has covered the mid-range in the market, with 42.5 hp. (31.7 kW); 1850 models were built and a beautiful print was made from cream and an orange tractor.
In 1958, Cockshutt introduced a completely new line of tractors, at the same time: 540, 550, 560 and 570. The 500 series sheet metal was designed by Raymond Levy, the renowned automotive designer of the era. The design sets a new standard in contemporary styling. Model 540 had 30 horsepower (22 kW), 2-3 plows; The 550 model had a 40 horsepower (30 kW), 3-plow; The Model 560 had a 50 horsepower (37 kW) 4-plow, while the Model 570 had a 65 horsepower (48 kW) 5-plow design. Big Brother The Model 580 was never mass produced; The first three hand-assembled units were on the shop floor at the factory when the order was closed in early 1962. It was a 100 horsepower (75 kW) unit and one tractor escaped demolition.
In 1958, the ownership of the company was taken over by the English Transcontinental, a bank buying British mercantile on behalf of the American investment group that became White's forerunner. The company name was changed to Cockshutt Farm Equipment Limited and was acquired by the White Motor Company in January 1962. White had previously acquired the Oliver Corporation in late 1960 and then bought Minneapolis-Moline in early 1963.
Immediately after taking control in early 1962, White decided to discontinue production in Brantford, but to take advantage of Cockshutt's eight decades of brand loyalty, they continued to sell Cockshutt tractors. Manufacturer during the 1964-1969 period ** 50 series from 1450 to 2150 were identical to Oliver tractors of the same model number. They were manufactured at the Oliver plant in Charles City, Iowa, and differed from Olivers only in paint color and adopting the new Cockshutt logo. They cover a horsepower range of 55 to 110, essentially the same as the Cockshutt 560, 570 and 580 models. After receiving Minneapolis-Moline, White began selling the Star Jet 3MM as a Cockshutt 1350, 45 horsepower (34 kW) tractor filling the Cockshutt Model 550 seat. Ultimately, White also proposed diesel imports produced by Fiat as Cockshutt: 40 horsepower (30 kW) Model 1265 3-cylinder replacement block for Cockshutt Model 540.
White established White Farm Equipment in 1969 to consolidate and further consolidate three acquisitions and by 1975 had discontinued all three previous trademarks and began offering White Equipment, distinguished by its primarily silver paint work. The name Cockshutt is no longer used outside the mid-70s.